So you’re looking for ways to make money from home… Join the crowd!
Thanks to a genius invention called the internet, Americans are discovering more and more creative ways to cushion their bank accounts from the comforts of home.
Not sure where to start? Pour yourself a cup of coffee (or glass of wine), and keep reading.
How to Make Money From Home in 2020
If you’re looking to make money online, you’ll need to exercise caution. There are a lot of scams out there, but don’t fret: We’ve tested dozens, if not hundreds, of different money-making strategies and included only our favorites.
Yup — none of them involve Nigerian princes, and you really will get paid.
Without further ado, here are 32 legitimate ways to earn extra cash from home.
- 1.Earn Cash While Watching Cooking Videos OnlineIf we told you that you could get paid to watch videos on your computer, you’d probably laugh.It’s too good to be true, right?But we’re serious. A website called InboxDollars will pay you to watch short video clips online. One minute you might watch someone bake brownies and the next you might get the latest updates on Kardashian drama.All you have to do is choose which videos you want to watch and answer a few quick questions about them afterward.No, InboxDollars won’t replace your full-time job, but it’s something easy you can do while you’re already on the couch tonight wasting time on your phone.Unlike other sites, InboxDollars pays you in cash — no points or gift cards. It’s already paid its users more than $56 million.It takes about one minute to sign up, and you’ll immediately get a $5 bonus to get you started.
- 2. Earn up to $60/Hour Working From HomeWe get it — there are kids to drop off to school, errands to run and dinner to cook. So the idea of getting a full-time job without any flexibility just doesn’t work for a lot of people. Truth be told, life would be a lot easier if you could just make money without leaving the house. But that’s not something most employers offer. But have you considered bookkeeping? It’s the No. 1 most profitable business, according to an article in Inc Magazine — and they earn up to $64/hour.You don’t have to be an accountant or good at calculus to be successful at bookkeeping. As long as you’re motivated, a company called Bookkeeper Launch will teach you everything you need to know. It’s one of the leading training courses in the field, and they even give you the first three classes for free. It’s helped thousands of people launch their own mini-businesses, including Daniel Honan, a military veteran and former painter who’s in his early 30s. He never considered starting his own company. But he signed up for Bookkeeper Launch, and now he’s making $50,000 a year keeping track of business expenses for his 10 clients.It only took him three months to get started, taking one class a week. Oh, and he makes his own schedule, earns up to $60 an hour and is able to spend more time with his wife than ever.
- 3. Get up to $500 in Free StockIf you feel like you don’t have enough money to start investing, you’re not alone. But guess what? You really don’t need that much — and you can even get free stocks (worth up to $500!) if you know where to look.Whether you’re got $5, $100 or $800 to spare, you can start investing with Robinhood.Yeah, you’ve probably heard of Robinhood. Both investing beginners and pros love it because it doesn’t charge commission fees, and you can buy and sell stocks for free — no limits. Plus, it’s super easy to use.What’s best? When you download the app and fund your account (it takes no more than a few minutes), Robinhood drops a share of free stock into your account. It’s random, though, so that stock could be worth anywhere from $5 to $500 — a nice boost to help you build your investments.
- 4. Play Free Scratch-off TicketsThere’s something so satisfying about those gas station scratch-off tickets, but it’s better to avoid them. Instead, try scratching for free using an Android app called Lucktastic. (It’s called Lucktastic Match for iOS.) Each day, it releases a new assortment of digital scratch-off tickets. Lucktastic says instant wins range from $1 to $10,000. You can also earn tokens that you can exchange for free gift cards to retailers including Amazon, Walmart, Kohl’s, Sephora and more.The app is supported by advertising, which allows it to keep the payouts high and the games free.
- 5. Get Paid for Your OpinionSwagbucks is definitely a reader favorite, probably because of the wide variety of ways to make money beyond taking surveys. It’s also famous for handing out free rewards points (called SBs) at random just for being a member. You’ll get SBs for each survey you qualify for and complete that you can redeem for cash via Paypal or gift cards to a number of popular retailers, including Amazon.Even better? You’ll earn a 500 SB (or $5) bonus when you sign up and earn 2,500 SB within your first 60 days.
- 6. Turn Those Crumpled Receipts Into Free Gift CardsWhat do you usually do with your receipts? You check out, they hand you a mile-long piece of paper, and you frantically stuff it to the bottom of a grocery bag. Pretty worthless.But a free app called Fetch Rewards will turn them into gift cards. It partners with tons of brands to give you points for every grocery receipt you share. Then you can exchange them for gift cards to places like Amazon, Walmart, Chipotle and dozens of other retailers.And it’s perfect for those of us who don’t want to put a ton of work into this. All you have to do is send Fetch a photo of your receipt, and it does everything for you. No scanning barcodes or searching for offers — and you can use it with any grocery receipt.Fetch rejects receipts more than 20 days old, so don’t forget to take that picture! You’re basically throwing away free gift cards if you don’t. Plus, with its new e-receipt feature, any time you shop online at partner brands using the same email as your Fetch account, you’ll earn points.
- 7. Add This Chrome ExtensionAdd this Chrome extension if you’re an avid online shopper. Whenever you browse the ’net, you can click Wikibuy to get more info about the items you want to buy.Click it to find coupon codes, add to your watchlist (to be notified when the price drops), see the price history or see a price comparison from other sellers including Walmart, Target, eBay and Jet.With all that info, Wikibuy will let you know if this is the best time to buy.It even tells you when your items will be delivered. If you like what you see, click the “Add to Wikibuy Cart” button that shows up automatically on Amazon, and Wikibuy places and tracks the order for you.Bonus: Your payment information isn’t passed to the retailer, so it’s in fewer places online.You also have the option to link a credit or debit card and earn credits while you shop. You can use your credits to buy things through Wikibuy.After a simple free install, browsing to check out just takes two clicks, and your savings is instant. You can close your million Chrome tabs now — you’re welcome.Wikibuy compensates us when you sign up for Wikibuy using the links provided.
- 8. Get $5 to Invest in Companies You Care AboutIt’s no brilliant secret that investing can be a smart way to make money.Sometimes, though, it feels restricted to a few wealthy elite.But Stash is different. This app lets you start investing with as little as $5 and for just a $1 monthly fee for balances under $5,000.Stash curates investments from professional fund managers and investors and lets you choose where to put your money. But it leaves the complicated investment terms out of it. You just choose from a set of simple portfolios reflecting your beliefs, interests and goals.Bonus:
- 9. Get Paid for Your Screen TimeWe’ve all been there. Netflix drones in the background as you scroll Instagram. What are you even doing?But there are companies that will pay you for all that screen time, like Bread. Bread is new on the block, but we like that you can earn up to $450 a year on the site.You earn your first $1 just for filling out a profile questionnaire, and then you can easily cash out to PayPal once you’ve earned $5.
- 10. Copy This Strategy to Get Cash When You Buy Toilet PaperRemember when getting the mail was fun? Now it’s just bills. And Valpak envelopes.But for Colleen Rice, checking the mail meant finding checks. For doing nothing. Seriously. Since she started using a free website called Rakuten, she’s received $526.44.Rakuten has the hookup with just about every online store you shop, which means it can give you a kickback every time you buy toilet paper on Amazon — even book that flight home for Thanksgiving.Rice says she uses Rakuten for things she already has to buy, like rental cars and flights. She even used the money she earned to help her pay for her recent cross-country move.It takes less than 60 seconds to create a Rakuten account and start shopping. All you need is an email address, then you can immediately start shopping your go-to stores through the site.Plus, if you use Rakuten to earn money back within the first 90 days of signing up, it’ll give you an extra $10 on the first check it sends you.Talk about money for nothing.
- 11. Launch a Tech Career and Earn $60K+/Year Without CollegeHave you ever thought about starting a new career?We’ve all been there. Maybe your pay isn’t great. Maybe you’re not advancing. Or maybe you’re just ready for something new. But what are your options? You can’t just up and quit your job; you need that paycheck. And going back to college and starting from scratch is daunting.But an education company called Springboard offers accelerated bootcamps in the tech industry that take just six or nine months to complete. Two of its most popular options include the data analytics bootcamp and the UI/UX design bootcamp. You don’t even need to quit your job — in less than a year, you could complete your bootcamp and land a job earning $60,000 or more per year. And the bootcamps cost less than a semester of college.Plus, if it doesn’t work out, Springboard will give you your money back. Seriously. If you don’t get a job within six months of finishing an online course, Springboard will refund you, as long as you’ve been active in your job search.Explore Springboard’s course options, and apply right online. It only takes 15 minutes, and there are no application fees.
- 12.Turn Your Junk Mail Into CashYou know all those flyers and advertisements you get in the mail each day? The ones you never wanted but have no idea how to opt out of?Well, you can turn them into cash.The “Small Business Knowledge (SBK) Center” is a market research company that wants to get a peep insight your mailbox. Join its consumer panel, and start shoveling that junk mail into a postage-paid envelope and, at the end of each week, send it over to the SBK Center.No, you won’t be rolling in extra cash, but you can earn up to $20 every six to 10 weeks.
- 13. Trade Your Grocery Receipts for CashWe all want to save money on our groceries. What we don’t want to do is put a ton of work into it.If this sounds like you — someone who just wants to get in and out of the store and save money without doing much thinking — there’s an app we recommend.It’s called Ibotta, and it gives you cash back for buying certain items at the grocery store. Before you shop, search for items on your shopping list within the Ibotta app. When you get home, snap a photo of your receipt and scan the items’ barcodes.Bam. Cash back.Ibotta is free to download. Plus, you’ll get a $20 sign-up bonus. Here’s how to get it: Create an account, shop like you normally do and snap a photo of you receipt. If you redeem 10 offers within 14 days, you’ll get that $20 bonus.
- 14. Get Paid to Lose WeightBottom line: A company called HealthyWage will literally pay you for losing weight.Not only are you getting more healthy, you’re also making some money. How’s that for motivation?Here’s how it works:
- Sign up for HealthyWage.
- Define a goal weight and the amount of time you’ll give yourself to achieve it.
- Place a bet on yourself ranging from $20 to $500 a month.Depending on how much you have to lose, how long you give yourself to do it and how much money you put on the table, you could win up to $10,000!Wondering if it can really work? We talked to one woman, Teresa Suarez, who lost 68 pounds — and made over $2,400.
- 15. Create an Online CourseYou don’t need experience or a degree to make money teaching on Udemy.If people want to learn what you have to teach, you can create a potentially profitable video course at home. Curious? Learn more about how to create a Udemy course.
- 16. Sell Your Crafts, Vintage Finds and Even Project SuppliesIf you’re creative, you can make some decent money selling your work through Etsy. Although there are some fees, including a 5% transaction charge, the marketplace connects you with more than 33 million buyers globally.That’s a whole lot of potential customers.PRO TIPEstablish a strong brand and backstory. Connecting with customers makes them more likely to spend time on your shop.Even if you aren’t creating masterpiece paintings or elegant jewelry or adorable baby clothes, you can still make money through the platform. For example, one Penny Hoarder contributor, Janet Berry-Johnson, made about $200 a month selling needlecraft kits and patterns.Maybe you’re more of a vintage type? Adventure through flea markets and even eBay to find vintage items you can fix up and resell through the platform.
- 17. Start a BlogThe startup costs for blogs are minimal: Just secure your domain name and hosting — only $2.95 a month from Bluehost.You’ll need to write some quality content to get into WordPress (or your blogging platform of choice) and start sharing it through social media. Once you feel comfortable, you can monetize your blog through Google AdSense and affiliate programs for some nice passive income.
- 18. Make Your Own Schedule as a Data-Entry ClerkData entry isn’t the best-paying work-from-home job, but it is one you can do with few skills or previous experience — all you need is a solid internet connection and a computer, and you must be at least 18 years old. Pay ranges on a per-hour or per-project basis. Typically, you can pick up jobs as frequently as you’d like through freelance broker sites like Smart Crowd and Clickworker.
- 19. Write and Sell an EbookIf you’re a subject-matter expert or have an intriguing life experience, you could write a book. But there’s no need to send it off to all the major publishing houses in New York City.You can self-publish ebooks through Amazon’s Kindle Direct Publishing platform. Writer Steve Gillman wrote a book in a week. Yup, Ebooks don’t have be hundreds of pages long. Gillman found many books as short as 6,000 words.After publishing on Amazon, he started making $350 a month. The best part? He continued to make money, even months and years later.
- 20. Get Your True Crime Fix by Joining a Mock JuryJury duty isn’t always fun, but what if you could do it from the comfort of home? Becoming an online mock juror can be an interesting way to make some extra money.Here’s how it works: Attorneys present cases to online juries as a way to test it before trial — to find that’s working and what isn’t and craft the best arguments.You can sign up as an online juror through a site like eJury. When a new case is submitted, you’ll be notified. Jump in to review the case and answer questions. You can earn $5 to $10 per case, depending on its length.
- 21. Do Calligraphy on the Side Maybe you don’t want to be a content writer, but if you have excellent handwriting skills and a set of calligraphy tools, you can address envelopes. You could make $2 to $5 a pop just for being a talented calligraphy writer.It doesn’t sound like a lot, but book a wedding with 100 guests, and you could rake in $200 or more for handwritten invites.Launch your own website to sell your services, or offer calligraphy through Etsy. For example, Margo Dittmer gets creative with her calligraphy services and sells custom wedding certificates for $175 each on Etsy.
- 22. Make Money Doing Voice-OversJanna Polzin, a stay-at-home mom in Toronto, earns money by talking to herself. In her closet.After her son was born in 2013, the stage actress turned to the online acting community and kept hearing about one voice-acting platform again and again: Voices.com.“I often walk away from my computer thinking, I can’t believe I just made money from that!” she says.Voices.com is an international online voice-over acting marketplace that helps vocal talent — both professional and amateur — find clients who need them.
- 23. Use Your Type-A Skills as a Virtual AssistantIf you have a knack for organization and communication, you just might make the perfect virtual assistant.These days, you don’t have to be the busy corporate assistant you see in old movies or on TV. You can work right from your couch.Folks will pay you to help schedule their days, answer emails, update their website, run social media accounts and book travel accommodations — all from the comfort of your couch.To find open virtual assistant jobs, peruse some of these work-from-home job boards.
- 24. Sell Your Old Books for Amazon Gift CardsHave old college textbooks taking up valuable shelf space? You could host a garage sale or sell them on eBay or Craigslist, but one of the easiest ways to get rid of them is through Amazon.With Amazon Trade-In, you can trade in your used textbooks, plus other items, like electronics, in exchange for an Amazon gift card.Just enter the item’s information on Amazon’s Trade-In page to see how much you could pocket. Shipping is free.
- 25. Help Make the Internet Better as a User-Tester Did you know you can get paid to poke around on websites and test out apps? It’s called user testing.Basically, companies will pay regular folks like us to offer feedback on websites and apps. How’s the design? Can you find ryour way around? Have questions that aren’t answered?You can make up to $60 per test through sites like UserTesting. The best part? You don’t need any user-testing experience — just a solid internet connection.
- 26. Become a Freelancer and Set Your Own HoursHave you considered freelancing? You can operate as a freelancer in just about any industry — from freelance writing to accounting to design to web development.If you’re just starting out, consider finding gigs through freelance platforms. This will help you gain experience and connect with clients — without having to put a whole lot of work into marketing your services.
- 27. Sell Your Photos (Even If You Took Them With Your Phone)Fancy yourself a solid amateur photographer? Instead of posting all day, every day, to Instagram, why not turn your work into some extra cash?Start with a stock photography marketplace like Foap.Download the Foap app, then upload your photos — even if you took them with your phone. When your photo is purchased, you automatically profit. Because Foap does most of the legwork, you’ll split the profit 50-50.Want to go even bigger? Upload high-quality images to Shutterstock, one of the more popular stock photography sites. Each time your photo (or video) is sold, you pocket up to 30% of the sale price (while retaining the copyright).
- 28. Earn $12/Hour Doing Random Google SearchesSearch engines (think: Google, Yahoo and Bing) use complicated algorithms to determine the results you see — and they don’t always get it right.Although these algorithms are “smart,” they’re also prone to errors. Imagine searching for photos of hummingbirds — only for a photo of a seagull to pop up. Or maybe you’re looking for some news on immigration — only to find you’re reading a tabloid site.That’s where humans can intervene as search engine evaluators. It’s your job to analyze search results and judge them based on quality, relevance and usefulness. And you can earn around $12 an hour or doing so.We suggest you start by looking at Lionbridge job openings.
- 29. Get Paid up to $25/Hour as a TranscriptionistAre you a good listener — and a good typist? You can make $15 to $25 an hour as a transcriptionist.You’ll need experience in the medical or legal fields to get transcription assignments in those areas, but plenty of researchers, reporters and Average Joes are willing to pay for someone to type up their recordings.You get paid per audio hour, so this is a gig that’s perfect for people with great focus. If an hour-long recording takes you four hours to transcribe, you still only get paid for one hour. Listen closely!
30. Sell Someone Else’s Stuff
Selling Craigslist freebies is a great way to make a profit quickly, because you get the items for free. You could even have cash in hand today.
Go to the free section on Craigslist and look for things that are close to you and easy to sell immediately. They could be scraps from a job site or metal items you can sell, for example.
For a quick turnaround, avoid items like furniture or electronics. These can be good to sell, but they’ll take longer.
Cash in your treasures by reselling on Craigslist, including them in a rummage sale or selling to specialty buyers, like a pawn shop or a local business.
31. Rent out the Clothes That Make Your Friends Jealous
Are your friends always complimenting your great sense of style? Try making money off that killer taste!
You can rent out your clothing online through a site like Style Lend.
There are a ton of others on the market, but take sure to read the fine print on rental sites. Some don’t charge any fees to the buyers and sellers, but some charge a rental commission per order. You’ll need to price your wears accordingly to account for any commission handed over to the company.
32. See if You Qualify for a Class-Action Settlement
If you use a product that’s involved in a class-action lawsuit, a little online sleuthing could get you a cash payout.
The rules of each settlement are different, but in most cases you’ll have to provide proof of purchase or product use, like a serial number or a receipt. Once you fill out your online claim form, you may have to wait a few weeks or months before receiving your payment.